Brain Injury Rehabilitation
St. Charles is a leading expert in brain injury rehabilitation in New York and our program is recognized as a Brain Injury Specialty Program by CARF International, the world’s leading accreditor of rehabilitation facilities.
At St. Charles, we offer patients the advanced therapies, physician experts, and specialized nursing care that patients have come to expect from top rehabilitation hospitals in the nation and we deliver this care right here on Long island.
Our program operate with one aim in mind: to empower those who have sustained a brain injury to reclaim their lives.
Data show that 100% of our patients felt that Brain Injury Rehabilitation at St. Charles prepared them to return home. More about our outcomes in Brain Injury Rehabilitation.
Adults receiving brain injury rehabilitation at St. Charles include those who have experienced:
- Traumatic Brain Injury, TBI (A brain injury resulting from an external force)
- Non-traumatic Brain Injury (An acquired brain injury resulting from toxic exposure, brain tumor, lack of oxygen and more)
Adults who have experienced a stroke, a specific type of brain injury, are treated in our Stroke Rehabilitation Program. Children and teens who have sustained a brain injury are treated through our Pediatric Rehabilitation Program.
Features of the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program at St. Charles include:
- Dr. Jun Zhang, MD oversees the Brain Injury Program at St. Charles and is board-certified in brain injury medicine. This sub-specialty certification for physicians was established as recently as 2014 to keep pace with the rapid advancement of brain science and the need to evaluate this new knowledge in the context of rehabilitative care of patients with brain injury.
Advanced Therapeutic Tools
- “Waking” Patients: Our brain injury specialty physicians employ FDA-approved pharmacological interventions to help minimally responsive patients become more alert and oriented. This enables patients to participate more fully in physical, occupational, and speech therapy sessions, which occur a minimum of three hours per day, five days a week.
- Improve Cognition and Brain Function: Our occupational therapists utilize tools such as the Bioness Integrated Therapy System (BITS), which measures cognition for each patient and assigns a customized set of challenges intended to develop the brain, the body’s command center.
- Learn to Walk or Move Independently: Following a brain injury, our physical therapists help patients retrain their bodies to move. For gait (walking) therapy, St. Charles physical therapists may employ body-weight supporting technologies.
- Develop Speech and Swallowing Abilities: Charles speech therapists help patients develop their speech and throat control using technologically advanced tools, such as VitalStim and advanced imaging techniques.
- Recreational Therapy, Music Therapy and more
St. Charles offers complimentary treatments not widely available elsewhere, such as acupuncture for symptom management and visual motor imagery techniques to help retrain the altered brain. These are offered in conjunction with, rather than in place of, mainstream medicine.
An Immersive Rehabilitation Environment
The first rehabilitation module of its kind on Long Island, Downtown St. Charles enables patients who are still in the hospital to apply adaptive skills in a home and community environment.
A Customized, Team-based Treatment Approach
Because every brain injury is unique, rehabilitation treatment plans at St. Charles are customized to each patient, who is supported by an entire team of clinicians, with specific expertise in their areas. The team collaborates to keep patients motivated as they work to improve their ability to think, move, walk, talk, eat, and care for themselves.
Education and Support for Patients, Families and Caregivers
- Brain Injury Education program helps patients understand their diagnosis and the rehabilitation process.
- Family/Caregiver orientation and regular meetings help build a strong support system for patients during treatment and beyond.
- Falls Prevention and Home Education Program designed to empower patients and prevent falls after discharge.
- Brain Injury Support Group for patients currently admitted for rehabilitation, as well as those who have been discharged from our program.
Meet Brad: Brain Injury Survivor
After a biking accident left Brad unable to walk, talk or focus his thoughts, the acute rehabilitation approach offered in St. Charles Rehabilitation's CARF-accredited Brain Injury Specialty Program helped him reclaim his life.
St. Charles Maintains Highest Rehabilitation Accreditation; Adds Brain Injury Specialty
St. Charles has achieved its third consecutive three-year accreditation in Rehabilitation and added specialty accreditation in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from CARF International, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation.
Continue Your Rehabilitation With St. Charles After Discharge
Patients discharged from our acute rehabilitation hospital programs can continue their rehabilitation through any of our Outpatient Rehabilitation Network locations across Long Island.
St. Charles has achieved its third consecutive three-year accreditation in Rehabilitation and added specialty accreditation in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from CARF International, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation.Get The Details
Patients discharged from our acute rehabilitation hospital programs can continue their rehabilitation through any of our Outpatient Rehabilitation Network locations across Long Island.Find a Location