St. Charles is a leading rehabilitation expert in New York and offers acute rehabilitation for adults who have sustained multiple traumatic injuries.
Acute rehabilitation is the most intensive form of rehabilitation available for those with multiple broken bones or fractures throughout their body. Research has shown that rehabilitative care delivered at this level of intensity offers improved patient outcomes when compared to subacute care.
Our multitrauma rehabilitation program empowers patients to reclaim their lives following an accident or incident which has left them with a complex mix of physical injuries.
Features of the Multitrauma Rehabilitation Program at St. Charles include:
- Intensive Therapy: Core therapies (physical therapy and occupational therapy) provided a minimum of three hours per day, five days a week. Research shows that level of intensity, referred to as acute rehabilitation, delivers improved outcomes when compared to subacute care.
- Expert Care by Rehabilitation Specialty Physicians and Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses: St. Charles has 8 board-certified physiatrists on staff who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The nursing team at St. Charles includes certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRNs). Together, our doctors and nurses provide 24-hour care to our medically complex patients.
- A Customized, Team-based Treatment Approach: Because every accident or incident is unique, rehabilitation treatment plans at St. Charles are customized to each patient, who is supported by an entire team of clinicians with specific expertise in their areas. The team collaborates to keep patients motivated as they work to improve their ability to think, move, walk, talk, eat, and care for themselves.
- An Immersive Rehabilitation Environment: The first rehabilitation module of its kind on Long Island, Downtown St. Charles enables patients who are still in the hospital to apply adaptive skills in a full-scale home and community environment.
- Complimentary Treatments: St. Charles offers complimentary treatments not widely available elsewhere, such as acupuncture for symptom management. These are offered in conjunction with, rather than in place of, mainstream medicine.
- Education and Support for Patients, Families and Caregivers:
- Education program helps patients understand their multiple diagnoses and the rehabilitation process.
- Family/Caregiver orientation and regular meetings help build a strong support system for patients during treatment and beyond.
- Falls Prevention and Home Education Program designed to empower patients and prevent falls after discharge.
With a goal to offer the best rehabilitation in New York, St. Charles is recognized by CARF International, the world’s leading accreditor of rehabilitation facilities and is the only CARF-accredited provider of acute rehabilitation on Long Island.
Continue Your Rehabilitation With St. Charles After Discharge
Patients discharged from our acute rehabilitation hospital programs can continue their rehabilitation through any of our Outpatient Rehabilitation Network locations across Long Island.
St. Charles Maintains Highest Rehabilitation Accreditation; Adds Brain Injury Specialty
St. Charles has achieved its third consecutive three-year accreditation in Rehabilitation and added specialty accreditation in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from CARF International, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation.
Patients discharged from our acute rehabilitation hospital programs can continue their rehabilitation through any of our Outpatient Rehabilitation Network locations across Long Island.Find a Location
St. Charles has achieved its third consecutive three-year accreditation in Rehabilitation and added specialty accreditation in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from CARF International, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation.Get The Details