St. Charles is one of New York’s leading hospitals for the rehabilitation of neurological conditions and neuromuscular diseases.
St. Charles treats more neurologically involved patients than any other kind of patient and each year we empower hundreds of men and women across Long Island, and the New York area, to reclaim their lives.
Because these conditions and diseases are highly complex and involve the brain, the spinal cord and thousands of nerves throughout the body, St. Charles offers the most intensive form of rehabilitation available, acute rehabilitation. Research has shown that rehabilitative care delivered at this level of intensity offers improved patients outcomes when compared to subacute care.
Adults treated in the Neurologic Rehabilitation Program include those diagnosed with:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Guillian Barre Syndrome
- Transverse Myeliti
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Children with neurological conditions and neuromuscular diseases are treated through St. Charles’ Pediatric Rehabilitation Program.
Data show that 98% of patients felt that inpatient rehabilitation at St. Charles prepared them to return home. More about our outcomes.
Features of the Neurologic Rehabilitation Program at St. Charles include:
- Direct Care by Board-Certified Physicians and Certified Rehabilitation Nurses: Charles has 8 board-certified physiatrists on staff who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation. St. Charles nurses are certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRNs). Together, our doctors and nurses provide 24-hour care to our neurologically complex patients.
- An Immersive, Real-Life Environment: The first rehabilitation module of its kind on Long Island, Downtown St. Charles enables patients to practice real-world adaptive skills while they are still in the hospital.
- Cutting-edge treatments and therapeutic tools for:
- Improving Brain Function: Our occupational therapists use a variety of interventions meant to increase a patient’s thinking process. These highly-skilled therapists utilize tools such as the Bioness Integrated Therapy System (BITS), which measures cognition for each patient and assigns a customized set of challenges intended to retrain the brain.
- Developing Speech and Swallowing Abilities: Charles speech therapists help our patients develop their speech and throat control utilizing tools, such as VitalStim and advanced imaging techniques.
- A Customized, Team-based Treatment Approach: Each patient is supported in their rehabilitation by an entire team of clinicians. The team collaborates to keep patients motivated as they work intensively to find new ways to think, move, walk, talk, eat, and care for themselves.
- Recreational Therapy, Music Therapy and more.
- Education and Support for Patients, Families and Caregivers:
- Education program helps patients understand their unique diagnosis and the rehabilitation process.
- Family/Caregiver orientation and regular meetings help build a strong support system for patients during treatment and beyond.
- Falls Prevention and Home Education program designed to empower patients and prevent falls after discharge.
Patients discharged from our acute rehabilitation hospital programs can continue their rehabilitation through any of our Outpatient Rehabilitation Network locations across Long Island.Find a Location
St. Charles has achieved its third consecutive three-year accreditation in Rehabilitation and added specialty accreditation in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from CARF International, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation.Get The Details